Article originally published in Natural Awakenings Magazine May 2009, page 9.
Molds are simple, microscopic organisms that are present virtually everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. They release innumerable lightweight spores, which in most instances eventually become airborne and travel to other destinations. These destinations may become mold infested and even toxic if the molds produce compunds that have toxic properties known as mycotoxins. Mycotoxins can appear in both living and dead mold spores and are produced depending on the surface on which the mold is growing as well as conditions such as temperature, pH and humidity.
Molds produce negative health effects through inflammation, allergy, or infection. For some people, even a small amount of mold spores can create health problems, particularly asthma and respiratory ailments. Other people, however, can tolerate an extremely high amount of spores without feeling ill effects.
CLICK HERE to read more
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required